Best Dubstep software?

Discuss, debate, argue, compare and analyse anything you like, just keep it general

Best Dubstep software?

Postby DarkEyedJo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:35 am

Hi people,

My 13 year old son really wants to get his hands on some good dubstep creation software, and I'd like to know if you guys have any suggestions.

The best thing we've found so far is DUBturbo. Anyone used it, know of it? Any good?

Cheers,

Jo.
DarkEyedJo

Re: Best Dubstep software?

Postby Sioux » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Hey Jo, how's tricks? :)

The question "what software should I use?" is a question that pretty much anyone who wants to create anything digitally (I've noticed this is especially true for music and more specifically, dubstep) and is one that doesn't have a single answer I'm afraid. Some people will swear by one type of sofware/DAWs (digital audio workstations) as being the best for creating dubstep whilst other group of people will say the same for the other piece of software and this, to my mind, means one thing; there isn't one.

All the popular music creating software (Pro Tools, Ableton, Cubase etc.) work in pretty much the same way and can all be used to achieve the same result, albeit in slightly different ways, so what the best "software" essientially boils down to is what program one feels most comfortable using and how well one knows the functions it provides. So what I would advise your son to do is to download some trial versions of the programs I named and look up some tutorials on the internet (there are thousands of them for each piece of software) and see which one feels most comfortable for him to use. If he really gets into it and is serious about creating music then I would advise that he invests in other hardware that are essiential (soundcard, full version of the software of choice etc) for the good workflow that is needed when creating music, your son will understand this once he discovers things like latency.

I have never used DUBcore myself but I assume it's one of those programs that have been designed to help a user create dubstep specific tracks more easily (something that is unique only to dubstep as far as I'm aware of) and if that is the case I would discourage your son from using it. The reason I would do so is that although I've never used the program and at the moment your son wants to make dubstep, it sounds like the type of program that would limit the possibilities that would otherwise be available in other programs such as Ableton due to it being specifically tailored to showcasing the parameters and instruments used in producing dubstep which would mean that there may be certain functions that would not allow for the variation to produce other types of sounds/music or even to do something that your son would want to include in his dubstep tracks. However, as I said earlier knowledge of how a program works will help your son decide which one is best for him.

That was lengthy I know but I hope it answered your question, even if I didn't give it a straight answer :P
Hope to be hearing some of his tracks in the future
Regards,

Sioux

P.S. Don't expect him to find out how to work a program overnight, I'm 19 years old and I still don't know all the ins and outs of the programs I use and I doubt I ever will. As long as you know how to use the functions that you require then, in my mind, that should be nuff.
Sioux

Return to General Discussion