I want to start producing!!

Discussion on all aspects of dubstep production techniques, resources and more

I want to start producing!!

Postby dubdrop » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:00 am

How do I start producing dubstep? Has anyone here done it? I have messaged lots of artists / DJs but no replies yet! :(

Favourite Programs?
Tips and Tricks?
How long to make a decent track?

Any one to help?

safe
Drop Beats Not Bombs
dubdrop

Re: I want to start producing!!

Postby koncide » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:27 pm

i've been producing for about a year now, though i've only got seriously into it this summer. I hope to be putting releases out, not just of dubstep, but all sorts of electro/dnb/drumsteppy stuff pretty soon.

The first thing you need is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), or in layman's terms, music production software. I use reason/record, hoping to be getting reason 6 very shortly (can't wait 8-)). I've also got FL 9 and Ableton Live 8, though i'd pick reason as my favourite and the one I'm most proficient at producing with. I like the whole rewiring thing; you just hit the tab key, and you can wire up your synths and effects units as you please. You can create so many cool sounds doing this, and although I can't vouch for how other people's minds work, this is exactly how I like to create, I love things to be interactive.

Tips and tricks? Start with any DAW you please, though I'd recommend FL studio for how cheap it is if you're on a budget. I've noticed FL studio is popular amongst amateur producers, though it is a very good bit of software in it's own right and you can create professional sounding mixes on it. I'd personally go reason 6, however, but that's just me talking :ugeek:. I'm sure other people might recommend other software, it's entirely your choice tbh; in this case, it's not the tools you use, but how you use them.

Don't be under any illusions, the amount of time and effort it takes to put into any decent track is insane. I'm not trying to put you off, but believe me, if you're serious about doing this you will be spending alot of time hunched over your computer, especially since you will be new to producing so you're gonna have to learn all the basics from scratch. I have spent countless hours refining my production technique, Youtube is an awesome place to start for tutorials and they can be useful no matter what level you're at.

safe man 8-)
"Losers are always whining about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"
koncide

Re: I want to start producing!!

Postby xml » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:53 pm

nicee place to start koncide ;D
xml

Return to Production